I don’t know about you, however, I try to shop smart when I am thinking about what I am planning to cook. We are a paycheck to paycheck type of family so we don’t have always a lot of money to invest on groceries. I try my toughest to make use of ingredients that I already have in my kitchen when making recipes and then try to be a wise shopper and make use of coupons when I can (meaning when I remember). I really like meals that are affordable and provide us leftovers the next day simply because which makes our food budget go a little farther that is usually great.
Many people spend too much on food due to the fact there are a lot of choices at the grocery store. Think about exactly what our forefathers ate: vegetables, breads, meats, soups, etc. They kept it easier due to the fact they didn’t have a lot to select from. If we have a page from the past and limit our dining choices as our grandparents probably did, then we’ll turn out healthier and then save lots of money in the process.
Talking about spending less, if you’re thinking about getting cash back on grocery buys that you’re already buying including milk or produce then you’ve got to check out IBOTTA as well as Checkout 51. I personally use these apps frequently to save cash on my grocery bill. Absolutely no coupons required. Now on to the frugal meal ideas!
You should have the fundamental items on this list – if you do, you’ll discover that you usually can whip with each other something pretty easily even if you’re tight on money for the week.
Fortunately, my kids aren’t picky eaters, there are several times they love greater than others, therefore I usually tend to lean towards the exact same things I know they like to make it simple on myself.
These are things that I prefer to have in my pantry/freezer ALL the time – if possible:
- Frozen Vegetables
- Pasta Sauce
- Peanut Butter
- 1-2 Bags of Regular Tortilla Chips
- Common Produce
- Dry Beans
Additionally, we try to have plenty of produce at home as well, because that will help us keep on a meal very easily – Vegetable Soup can invariably be made along with extra potatoes, tomatoes, squash & celery.
I assembled this list of Thirty Frugal Meal Ideas for Families on a Budget so you can mix in a few new ideas if you’re like us and looking to save cash.
- Banana & Yogurt
- Brown Rice w/Butter & Sugar
- Cinnamon Sugar Toast w/ Yogurt
- Egg Muffins w/Toast
- Fried Potatoes & Eggs
- Homemade Biscuits & Gravy
- Homemade Waffles or Pancakes
- Oatmeal w/Raisins & Sugar
- Pancake Squares w/Fruit
- Scrambled Eggs w/ Sautéed Veggies
- Baked Potato & Side Salad
- Beans on Toast
- Cheese & Crackers w/fruit
- Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
- Grilled Chicken Salad w/Veggies
- Homemade Tuna Salad Sandwich w/Fruit
- Pasta Salad w/Fresh Veggies
- Peanut Butter & Jelly w/Fruit
- Turkey or Ham Sandwich & Fruit
- Vegetarian Chili
- Beans & Cornbread
- Breakfast for Dinner (see ideas above)
- Chicken Noodle Soup & Homemade Bread
- English Muffin Pizzas & Carrot Sticks
- Fried Potatoes/w Diced Ham & Onion
- Grilled Chicken Legs or Thighs & Veggies
- Homemade Bean & Cheese Burritos
- Homemade Vegetable Soup & Homemade Bread
- Spaghetti & Tomato Sauce w/Homemade Bread
I am more than certain you might have some to increase this list! I’d thank you for feedback too – we love having a list to keep available. it will help us plan those times that we just can’t seem to work out what we should wish to eat.